Last week I had a very simple user request: the requirement was to add all campaign members from last year’s Christmas card campaign to this year’s campaign, and ideally our users would be able to do this themselves, not wait for me to do something magical in the background.
No problem I thought, I’ve got this. I know my stuff. There’s a lovely ‘Add to Campaign’ button on reports. I created a ‘Campaign with Campaign Members’ report, filtered on last year’s Christmas card campaign, saved and ran the report…and then, well, nothing.
Where’s the button gone?! FYI – I’m in Lightning. The last time I did this I was still in Classic.
So I did what I do best: I googled it.
The results were confusing to say the least. The trouble is, when Lightning was first released it was missing a lot of functionality so there are a lot of questions and ideas on the community that say things are not available.
Over time, more and more functionality has been added but these legacy questions and ideas remain. On my hunt for answers, I was reading information that was out of date; every post I read told me the ‘Add to Campaign’ button on reports was not yet available in Lightning.
Well let me tell you it is available! It’s just a bit hidden…
After you’ve run your report, look on the right hand side. Next to ‘Edit’ there is a drop down arrow for more options and in this list you’ll find our friend ‘Add to Campaign’.
I have 18 months’ experience with Lightning and the new placement of buttons still takes some getting used to. If you’re new to Lightning or are considering making the move, hopefully this post will save you a bit of time and grief!
Gothas & hints
- The report must have fewer than 50,000 records for the button to appear
- To see the button you need:
- Marketing User ticked on the user record
- Read and Edit permission on Campaigns
- Read permission on Reports
- To access the Campaign with Campaign Members report:
- Read permission on Leads AND Contacts (this one caught me out as we don’t use Leads)
- The ‘Add to Campaign’ button is also available on Contact, Lead and Person Account reports
- The ‘Add to Campaign’ button is available on custom reports as long as the primary object is Lead or Contact